Friday, July 4, 2008

INDEPENDENCE!!




Today is our American Independence Day and I’m adding a brief post between my regular posts to discuss that word “independence” as it relates to our sexuality.


Oh, I know – most of us have gone through many of the stages of sexual revolution. I was part of the group that started to show their breasts at a beach, burn our bras, and many of the other “coming out” activities we hippies did.


My pre-teen daughter was shocked when I showed up in one of the early mini-skirts, which wasn’t nearly as "mini" as they became over the next few years. After all, I was the mother of four children and what business did I have of following fashion anyway? Or showing my legs?


I was a child when my mother discussed the latest fashion with a neighbor over the laundry line. It seems this neighbor’s son was a designer for a high profile fashion industry in New York. In relating the newest switch in fashion, his mother said, “And he told me skirts were going to start coming down to HERE,” indicating mid-calf. Skirts were much shorter at the time, a war-time effort to eliminate waste in fabrics. (WW II that is, not the current one!)


We’ve been flaunting our sexual independence for centuries. I believe we live in a time when almost anything goes in fashion, in sex, in politics, in life. Of course we are still hampered in many respects. I cannot go strolling through the mall with no clothes on, but I can wear a top that barely covers my nipples, short enough to show my navel, and shorts that cover only half my buttocks. Personally, I think that is sexier and more seductive than out and out nudity!


But please, please continue to exert your independence in as many ways as possible! We all have our kinks, our fetishes, our naughty behaviors, our affairs, our fantasies. Don’t let anyone take them away from you! Walk with pride, strut your stuff! As Rusty Warren used to sing (probably still does), “Knockers Up!”


I blow you a kiss,


Fanny

No comments: