Saturday, January 24, 2009

Evolution of a Word



The dictionary defines a fetish as any object that superstitious people believe to have magical powers. For some, this could be a rabbit’s foot on their key chain, or a penny in your shoe. Some people hang their fetish on the rear-view mirror of their car.

Perhaps one of my earliest recollections of an object being a fetish was during my years of living in Alaska. I was given a little carved bear made with either walrus tusk or whale bone – both of which would be politically incorrect today. But this was in the early 60s and the protection law didn’t come into being until a decade later.

Although the bear fetish is more commonly thought of with the Zuni, many tribes also have a bear fetish. Since I was given one in Alaska, and the Alaskan Brown Bear is such a big item (literally), I imagine the Native Alaskan tribes also have a bear fetish.

Another definition of fetish comes from the field of psychiatry (ahem). For the shrinks, this refers to any object that is basically non-sexual, but that is thought to be sexually arousing to some. This is supposed to include such objects as smelly feet, leather gloves, ears, or some such item. I have nothing against people who have this fetish, but it’s not something that I can relate to personally.

Yet a third definition of fetish refers to any activity or object to which we are abnormally and irrationally devoted, “to make a fetish of sports.”

Sports???

How about SEX? Does that fit into the category of sports?

This particular definition of fetish probably comes closer to what we think of in our more modern screwy sexual milieu. Today the word moves us away from carved bears toward the kinky, and includes a world of activities, clothing, lifestyles, entertainment, and more. You can find all sorts of websites devoted to your particular interests.

One site that I highly recommend is Fetlife, a free social network of people of like minds. You can find a group for whichever fetish flips your skirt. If you join, tell them Fanny Lucette sent you. No, I don’t own it, nor do I get anything out of it. I just know some people who are involved in the workings of it and who would welcome your participation.

It seems to me that psychiatry needs to take a fresh look at fetishism, one that is not so punitive or judgmental.

What do you think?

No comments: